Don’t be so shocked after hearing this. You might be like how relief and period can go hand-in-hand? This is made possible with the use of menstrual cups. Don’t go by the name. They are not as large as our regular cups. They are designed considering your vaginal size.
A menstrual cup is a feminine hygiene product which is inserted intothe vagina during periods. These cups are made up of medical grade silicone or latex. These are bell-shaped with a stem. A menstrual cup is first inserted into the vagina. They unfold naturally after migrating upwards against the cervix.
These cups are the most viable options during periods. This technology was introduced way back in 1932 although not commercialized at that time. Menstrual cup, The Keeper (an interesting name), was made commercially viable in 1987. Quite an old invention,right? Many women are still not aware that a thing like this exists.
To educate more, read below some interesting facts about menstrual cups.
1. Reusable: Surprised? Don’t be. Unlike pads or tampons, menstrual cups can be reused for about 5 years. After the end of the cycle, the cup is to be washed thoroughly. They should be sterilized by immersing in boiling water for a few minutes, and here they are ready to use for the next cycle.It’s as simple as that.
2. Environmentally friendly option: Can’t believe what you are reading? But yes,these cups are environmentally friendly as they can be reused after sterilization, unlike tampons and pads that create tons of waste.
3. Accurate measurement: You can easily rely on these cups when you need menstrual blood for any tests. Just collect it from the cup. That’s it!! Some cups even have measuring marks.
4. Availability for all sizes: Will it fit me? This must be a frequently running question in every woman’s life who wants to opt for this option. These cups are available in two sizes, small and large. Women under 30’s who have not give birth yet can opt for the smaller cup while the larger one is for women who have given birth or have a heavy flow.
5. Cost reduction: Dancing with joy ladies? Of course, you should celebrate as you are saved from the hefty price of pads and tampons. Price of cups is high, but it’s a one-time investment.
6. No more frequent washroom visits: You heard that right ladies. You can use the cup until it gets full. You need to observe as to in how much time the cup gets full. So sit back and relax.
So ladies, when are you going to start using menstrual cups? Right from the next cycle? You can rely on this option without fearing as it is the safest of all. Happy periods!!